03 Sep Social Media Workshops & Training
As promised in our August correspondence around safeguarding, we have arranged some training workshops for teenagers, parents and youth leaders to raise awareness around the use of Social Media. The training will be led by Deborah Webster of Thrive Academy and the details are set out below.
One of our designated Safeguarding Persons, Marc Harding and Wendy Dobbin will be present at each session.
Monday 20th September ~ Digital Resilience Workshop for young people:
In person workshop in West Church from 7.00 – 8.30 pm
- The aim of the workshop is to help young people think about the adverse impacts that social media can have on their wellbeing.
- The workshop will be interactive and include paired/group work, games and discussion.
Monday 4th October ~ Training session for youth workers/leaders:
Online training session on Zoom from 7.30 – 9.30 pm (log on details will follow in due course)
- In the training session we will consider the impacts social media can have on the wellbeing and mental health of young people.
- Presenting the most up to date research, we will think about how we can best support young people in our connected society, helping them to become digitally aware, wise and resilient.
- We will also consider appropriate use of social media/mobile phones for those in position of leadership.
- The training will involve a balance of discussion, group work and presentation.
Thursday 21st October ~ Parent Workshop:
Online workshop session on Zoom from 7.30 – 9.00 pm (log on details will follow in due course)
- Current research which has explored the relationship between social media use and the mental wellbeing of young people will be explained.
- The workshop will consider boundaries which can be put in place to encourage positive relationships with technology and social media and limit the negative impacts they can have,
- The session will be informal and practical with the opportunity to ask questions.
On Monday evening, the young people will be socially distanced in the Sanctuary in line with PCI guidelines and we would encourage as many young people as possible to attend.
We would ask organisation leaders to please share this information with their members and parents.
All sessions must be booked in advance using the following booking links and Zoom details will be issued to the youth leaders and parents in due course.
Digital Resilience Workshop for young people click here
Youth Workers/leaders training session click here
Parent Workshop click here
Lindsay Conway, Clerk of Session
Maureen Bennett, Deputy Clerk of Session